How to Make a Hand Painted United States Sign

026
Isn’t this sign adorable?!
I am frantically getting ready for a booth at my local Farmer’s Market, re-opening my Etsy shop AND putting my handmade items
 in a local shop!
Ekkkkk! I’m super excited about all 3 wonderful opportunities……..

Well, without further adieu HERE’S the tutorial for this cute little sign:
Materials I used~
  • Two- 1x4 cedar fence slats
  • Wood stakes
  • Contact Paper
  • White paint
  • Vinegar
  • Steel Wool
  • Poly
  • Bailing wire
  • 8 screws
  • Heart push pin 
Tools I used~
  • Silhouette 
  • Sponge
  • Paint Brush
  • Saw
  • Sander
  • Drill
 048
Yes I have a pile of pallets that I could have used for this project BUT it was so much easier to buy a couple of slats for a buck each instead of tearing apart a pallet.
054
I cut the fence slats into four 2ft pieces, then I cut 2 stakes to fit across the back and screwed them in place.
I use these wood stakes in many projects and you can pick up a bundle for around $4.
058
Then I used my vinegar & steel wool mixture to stain the wood….
I LOVE this technique and have used it HERE and HERE.
You just soak vinegar & steel wool overnight….
the longer you soak it the darker the stain.
060
See the beautiful color it instantly turns the wood?! Cool! Huh?
I just brushed on the mixture with a paint brush.
photo(2)
Once the stain dries I applied the United States image.
 I made a stencil with my Silhouette using contact paper.
photo 1(1)
I used the negative image of the stencil and saved the other part for another project…
Then I dab paint on the area with a sponge, peel off the stencil, wait for the paint to dry and then sand the whole board with a palm sander.
photo 2(1)
Finally I sealed the sign with 2 coats of poly, added bailing wire to hang and a cute little rubber heart push pin so you can add your
heart where your home is….
{I found this push pin at Wal-Mart and sadly they don't make them anymoreSad smile }
photo 3
Thank you so much for stopping by!
Please check out all the places I party!

8 comments:

Lilah said...

What a cute sign! Thanks for the vinegar tip also - can't wait to try it. I was thinking this would be a fun sign to add some Americana stripes and stars for the summer too.
Design your own metal sign

At The Picket Fence said...

I love that Michell! And wow you have so many exciting things going on right now. I'm so thrilled for you! :-)
Vanessa

Nancy said...

This is really cute. I love the stain tip. Good luck on all your ventures.

Lauren Loves To Scrap said...

You have so many cute ideas!

I just wanted to let you know that I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award.

Here's the link so you can check it out:

http://www.laurenlovestoscrap.blogspot.com/2012/07/i-received-versatile-blogger-award.html

Lauren

Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

LOVE this!!! But you already knew that ;)

Kara
www.mineforthemaking.com

~HS said...

Love it, but wish Michigan was more defined. ~Native Wolverine

Lindsay Artsy-Fartsy Mama said...

Too cute!! Love this! Thanks for the inspiration :)

I featured you on my blog today, feel free to come check it out: http://www.artsyfartsymama.com/2012/07/pinteresting-features-n-shtuff-41.html

Unknown said...

I found one of your pins on Pinterest about the photobooth phote. I have now been on your blog for a hour! Keep up the great work!

You May Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips