Lucky Penny Necklace

I'm so excited to share how to make a 
LUCKY Penny Necklace

Here is everything you will need.

Punch and Die Set with Doming Block
I got this one at Harbor Freight using their 20% off coupon for $28

A Letter Stamping Set
I splurged on a nice set from Beaducation $165
but I have also purchased a standard set at 
Harbor Freight or Home Depot for $4-$10

A Necklace and Jump Ring
I purchased mine at Hobby Lobby
Every other week they are half off so watch for the sales!

A Penny, Rubbing Alcohol, Sharpie, Pliers, Hammer and Drill.

 I marked each penny with a sharpie, placed it in a vise grip and drilled a hole with the hubby's drill press.
I used a 5/84 bit it will close a little when you dome the penny so any smaller and you might not be able to get your jump ring through the hole
 I always start with the center letter and work my way out.
Note: I only have a lower case set from Beaduction 
so I used my Home Depot upper case set for the letter L.
Use sharpie to fill in letters and wipe clean with rubbing alcohol.
Now you can stop here and make a necklace....or you can dome it.
 You can dome penny upside or downside.
Use the different pens for different shapes.
It's really fun to play around.....
Just a few hits with a hammer and you have a nice domed penny. 
You can also make earrings.
Copper color necklace set from Hobby Lobby
Use Pliers to attach the jump ring.
A LUCKY penny necklace perfect for St Patrick's Day

Now have you heard of whoopdwhoop?
It's a currency free creative marketplace. 
You swap items with other creative people
It' FREE, EASY and FUN.
Last night I listed this Penny Necklaces for 4 whoops
and within the hour 2 people 'bought'  it!!
In exchange I used my whoops to purchase this
Texas notepad pendant
AND
 This jean tote bag!!!

I'm am loving this concept...

Check out all the places I party!

22 comments:

Morgan said...

That is such a cool idea! And so pretty!

Lizzie said...

Fun idea, but a rather expensive necklace, if you have to buy all that equipment first... You should sell a few on Etsy - then I could buy one for myself...
Or maybe I'll look into this swapping stuff on Whoopdwhoop instead - it sounds cool!

Style, Decor & More said...

Very, very nice blog! You are very creative.
I'm your newest follower from Buzz on By:

http://stylendecordeals.blogspot.com/

Hope you can follow back!

Style, Decor & More said...

Very, very nice blog! You are very creative.
I'm your newest follower from Buzz on By:

http://stylendecordeals.blogspot.com/

Hope you can follow back!

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

This is so cute Michell!! I love it - and thanks for the great tutorial too! Now I need to go to Harbor Freight! :)

Unknown said...

Whenever I see one of your stamped metal ideas it makes me want to go out and buy the materials to try it myself. Now I know what to ask for when birthdays and Christmas roll around.

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

Hey Michell - I featured your super cute necklace today in my Crush of the Week post! http://www.flamingotoes.com/2011/03/crush-of-the-week-and-an-announcement/

Nan ~ Playful Decor said...

Hi Michell, I'm saying hi to bloggers I'm following. Looking back on some of your projects and I'd love to include the kid's decor ones - alphabet wall, tree shelves - in my gallery. Email me if you'd like to have these included! Nan

PlayfulDecor (at)gmail(dot)com

AmberFaith said...

Newest follower from the Boost My Blog Friday hop! Would love for you to stop by and follow back! (:

Amber
http://beautifullybellafaith.blogspot.com

Kyla Armstrong said...

Oh I love it! I wish I had 4 whoops to get one. I'll have to save up. I'm half way there :)

Stitches said...

Thats awesome! I love it.

Heather said...

What an adorable necklace! Thank you for telling me about whoopdwhoop. It is such a great site!!

Renegades said...

What a neat necklace.

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

That is adorable! (I'm wondering if our Harbor Freight is still open this late on a Saturday night...)

Katy @ Lolly Linens said...

What a great idea, thanks for sharing.
http://createdbykaty.blogspot.com
www.lollylinens.com

AllieMakes! said...

HOW FUN?! Where do you get these dome-ing tools??
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

LuckyRedHen said...

I like that you explained that you've used the inexpensive lettering and decided to splurge on higher end tools. Saving money is nice but not when it means shoddy work and frustration!

The Beading Gem said...

What a super idea - perfect for St Patrick's Day as in "The luck of the Irish!" Thanks for sharing. I will be featuring it on my blog soon so others can come visit.

http://www.beadinggem.com

Jenn Erickson said...

Phenomenal! So beautifully done! I can definitely see why Allie featured your post over at "What Allie's Making Now". What a treasure! I've got to make some of these for my girls.

Pinning to Pinterest and sharing a link with my readers on FB.

Cheers!
Jenn/Rook No. 17

dragonswing said...

It is illegal to deface any currency.

Kristin said...

Loving this lucky penny necklace! Now I think I 'need' to buy a doming block =)

Enjoying your blog!

j.a.Molina Creative said...

Love this tutorial!! Thank you for sharing. I recently began doing metal stamping and working with coins. Super excited to use the drill press at home.

You May Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips