DIY Giant 4ft x 3ft 'Canvas'

083
Can you see how GIANT this print is???
It is 4ft by 3ft and only $4.99!
I am transforming my blah kitchen into
Farmhouse Fabulous!
I have plans for some giant tractor art but also wanted to add this photo of my son ‘driving’ a tractor last year at the pumpkin patch.
image
THIS is one of my all time favorite photos of
my sweet tractor lovin’ boy!
Did you know most office supply stores sell engineering prints
for just a few dollars??
YES!! I had one made last year of an image so I could make my own giant stencil….that project got delayed after our move.
I decided to see if I could get good quality with my photo as I did with my image.
I just uploaded my colored photo on Staples.com 
The engineered print only comes in Black and White which was PERFECT for what I wanted to make!
I ordered the largest engineering print  for $4.99 in the morning and by afternoon my print was ready to pick up!
2012-01-15_14-38-05_245
When I mentioned that I was doing this on Facebook, my friends ask me if I got this on Pinterest….So off I went to search and found
SUGAR BEE CRAFTS
Mandy made an awesome print too! And thanks to her tips I saved myself some time and money…I so would have used regular mod podge over the print! Her tip said DO NOT do thatSmile
Thank you Mandy!
2012-01-15_16-38-01_147
You will need some spray adhesive to attach the print.
I DID NOT buy this at Staples when I picked up my print.
They wanted $16 for one can!
Wal-mart had a must better selection and price!
2012-01-16_09-21-48_694
I had planned to put my print on a piece of leftover wainscoting
but didn’t have one big enough…so as Mandy did…I used some of the hubby’s shop insulation.
This is a 1 1/2 inch 8ft x 4ft insulation board the hubby got at Menard’s for around $20.
{you could make 3 prints with ONE sheet}
I LOVE the 1 1/2 inch thickness! It makes it look like a ‘real’ canvas!
You can find many thicknesses, sizes and prices at
most home improvement stores.
070
I sprayed the board with adhesive and with the help
of my hubby we attached it to the board.
I used a flour separator to smooth the picture.
I then used a craft knife to cut the board and used a sanding block to smooth the thick edge.
075
Next, I used some black craft paint to paint the sides
and edges of my print.
005
Kinda gives the print a more ‘distressed’ lookSmile
016
Since this is very thin paper and will be hanging in my kitchen area…
I thought I needed to seal it…..
so I took my 'canvas' outside and sprayed it with a coat of
Mod Podge Clear Acrylic Sealer in Matte.
This also comes in glossy….
Who know Mod Podge made a spray??!?!
011
I hammered 2 nails in the wall and simply pushed the thick
light weight canvas into the nails.
And there you have it……
LESS than $15 for a great piece of art in my kitchen/dining room!
Now off to finish the rest of my  ‘farmhouse’ transformationSmile

Update: I made another Giant Photo
  See Tutorial HERE

Thanks so much for stopping by!



Check out all the places I party!

45 comments:

Meagan At Fairly Fabulous said...

I pinned you! But it looks like you and several others already pinned :) tee hee Just LOVE this project. Along with SugarBee's tutorial- I can't WAIT to make one!

Leah said...

Oh My! I want to try this!! I'm guessing you know how much large prints, canvas wraps and standouts cost!! This is amazing! Thanks for playing along with Toot Your Horn Tuesday!

Mandy Beyeler said...

looks great!!

Creative Raisins said...

How cool is that, thank you for sharing your tips. I am excited to give this a try and have the perfect piece to do it with.

Daena from Bad Rabbit Vintage said...

This is so awesome! I'm glad I found your blog through Coastal Charm. I love your fresh ideas and I'll be back often.

Katalina Jewelry said...

I love the print. I wouldn't have though you could blow a photo up that large without looking grainy. Thanks for sharing your source!

Katie @ Creatively Living said...

That is so awesome! What a great picture and I can't believe what a great price you did it for!!! I might be making one of these for my boys room!

Thanks for the tutorial!

--Katie
@ Creatively Living

Unknown said...

What a fabulous, and inexpensive, idea for large art. I have a space in my family room begging for a big print - now I have a way to accomplish it without breaking the bank. (saw your link on Blue Cricket Design).

Simply Simplisticated said...

WOW! This is GENIOUS!! Im Making one or two lol immediately:) Thank you so much! Im your newest follower,stop over and follow me too:) Deidre~ http://simplysimplisticated4.blogspot.com

Spittin-Toad said...

I love it...I will have to give it a try...
Thanks for such a great idea!
Denise

Anne said...

Wow! So glad I saw this over at Coastal Charm's party. One of the best decorating 'tips' I've seen... that's an adorable photo of your little tractor boy, too.

jeanne@juNxtaposition said...

love this !! will definitely be doing it..thanks for the tip...(and LOVE LOVE LOVE your tractor pic !too cute

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

What a great idea! And thanks for that Staples tip. I had no idea you could do that!

I also wanted to see if you've heard about our "Impossibilities" challenge that culminates in a multi-blog link party on Jan. 31. (more at this link: http://itallstartedwithpaint.blogspot.com/2012/01/mission-impossibilities.htm

There's still time to get in on the fun ...

xo
Linda
itallstartedwithpaint@gmail.com

Holly Lefevre said...

LOVE this idea and I love the photo you chose for your print!

Roeshel said...

Such a sweet picture and I love your creativity! ;) Great job, Michell!

Anonymous said...

What a cute photo and a GREAT idea! Do you have the specs on your photo though? I'm worried my pic will turn out really grainy as it's not a professional camera or anything. Has anyone tried with just a regular photograph?

Kristin @ Yellow Bliss Road said...

I am so pinning this! Thanks for the tip on extra large prints - who knew??

Thanks for sharing at Simply Klassic Home!

Cre8ive Motives said...

This is such a beautiful picture! It came out wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

~Mandy@Cre8iveMotives

Havalah Turner | Sisters, What! said...

this is so awesome! I really want to try this now. New follower

http://sisterswhat.blogspot.coml

Shanee said...

Awesome....such a great idea. Thanks for sharing...I am so stealing this idea!

reFresh reStyle said...

Thanks! I want to make one of these and who knew about these products!! Where have I been?
Debbie

AudreyN said...

I love this picture! And how you made a canvas out of it! Thank you!

Good Time Charlie said...

Oh my, this is fantastic, genius, adorable, super cool. And I want to make one now! Congrats on making top 10 at DIY. I am pinning your version of it! Love it!

Pieced Pastimes said...

Love this idea! Your little boy on the tractor is just the sweetest!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

This is fabulous! I bet it makes you smile everytime you walk by it! And thank you for the great tutorial!

Janel from NellieBellie said...

Looks great! And that picture is so fun!!! Following along with your fun blog!

Debra from Bungalow said...

That is AMAZING and is giving me all kinds of ideas. I have been wondering where I could get a horse print and now I know how to make my own! I will be pinning this! Thanks!
Love your tractor and little boy picture.
New to your blog, it's great! Come on over and visit me sometime :)

Lori said...

Wow, if you had said "tractor art" I would have said NO, but this is fantastic! I love the black and white, the size, and the wonderful edges....such a beautiful idea. My creative brain is in high gear now...thanks for the inspiration, Lori

Jami said...

That is AMAZING!!! Would love for you to stop by The Blackberry Vine and share at the Tuesday To Do Party!
Smiles!
Jami
www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

This is such a great tutorial! And what a fabulous photo...so cute! Would be delighted for you to link up to my brand new party at: http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/01/mop-it-up-mondays-party-1.html
{HUGS},
kristi

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this I have a wall in much need of some artwork! For under $20 you made something special! Just in awe, and DH says too this really looked like canvas! Just wow.

Anonymous said...

I just tried uploading one, and I can't figure out how to order an engineer print. Is it an option on there?

Samantha said...

I absolutely love this in so many ways! My mind is now working overtime. I love black and white prints/pictures/patterns and am definitely going to try this!

Unknown said...

I so <3 this idea. But I have a question... How hard was it to adhere the picture to the board with the paper being thin? Also do you have sometime to move it a bit or, or is it a one shot deal??
Thanks so much... this is a gift for my daughter for Valentines day, so the clock is ticking

Joshua 6:27 said...

What a beautiful idea! Quick question - what's a flour separator? I googled it and found lots of large mechanical sieves. I'm guessing you have something different. ;)

~Erin

Robin said...

yes, I tried it with a regular camera, nothing fancy and it turned out really well.

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

Still loving this. Loved seeing it linked up at Mop it Up Mondays. Thanks bunches for stopping by!
{hugs},
kristi

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

LOVE this! Who knew you could get such a large print and hang it for such a good price. I HAVE TO do this. Thanks!

Christine said...

That's just FABULOUS!!!!!!!!! P.S. I love the design of your blog!!

Thanks for linking up at The DIY Dreamer :)

Tiffany said...

I'm in love with this project idea, and especially because the picture is of your little guy riding a tractor. I keep thinking of all the different places I could put something like this, and I can't wait to get a house and do it. :)
This week I had a post with some things that were giving me inspiration for the play area I'm trying to set up for my son, and included this project.
http://thelittlewaffleflower.blogspot.com/2012/03/boys-play-area-ideas.html

Janet said...

Friend! I borrowed this idea, and credited you for it! Check it out! :)

www.iheartmygluegun.com

Sherri said...

I officially LOVE this! And not for nothing, I didn't know Mod Podge came in a spray either.

Featured you on Momcaster: http://momcaster.com/2012/06/01/transfer-photos-to-canvas/#

Kathryn J Cain said...

i love this ....and it made me happy to just look at that cute little guy on the tractor...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Very nice idea for making an amazing DIY Photo on Canvas the canvas you have made, it's really looking attractive. you have added great tutorial for making this, everyone can make this to follow your step, i am also want to try it shorty. For custom photo artwork I have used Photos on Canvas by Canvas Design and have been very satisfied. Thanks for sharing the tutorial.

You May Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips